Yes, you can have your cake and eat it too! Each is only 165 calories, so enjoy it as a cupcake or a muffin!
- Start with room temperature ingredients. Preheat oven to 350F (you can soak eggs in room temp water for 10 minutes if you forgot to take them out).
- Insert liners into muffin tin.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves. TIP: When measuring flour, use a spoon to scoop flour and pour into a measuring device, then level off to ensure you don’t use too much flour.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, use hand mixers to beat together sugars and eggs until combined.
- Mix in applesauce and vanilla extract. With mixer running on low speed, slowly pour in vegetable oil and mix until combined.
- Finely shred the carrots (on the small side of your grater and measure to ensure you have 1 and 1/2 cups).
- Add the dry ingredients right on top of the wet ingredients, and the shredded carrots right on top of that. Stir until JUST combined, being careful to not over-mix.
- Pour mixture into muffin cups so they're 3/4 full, bake 18-22 minutes, or until toothpick comes up clean.
- Place on wire rack until completely cool.
- if desired, make cream cheese icing.