Back-to-school health checklist
Help kids stay well during the school year
When people are in close contact with each other, like kids in a classroom, it’s easier to catch colds, stomach bugs, and other contagious illnesses. The good news is that a few healthy habits can help kips stay well. Use these tips from Vibin Roy, M.D., a primary care doctor at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia:
- Make sure children are up-to-date on their immunizations and get an annual flu shot, too.
- Remind them to wash their hands throughout the school day.
- Teach them to cough and sneeze into their elbow, not their hands.
- Encourage them to avoid touching their eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Set sleep routines. Keep in mind younger children need more sleep.
- Talk through goals for the year, their schedules, and any worries they may have.