South Philly Vegan Meatballs
Independence Live Recipe
1 (Save the liquid)
2 cups (All purpose flour or)
- Drain a can of chickpeas, saving the liquid and setting aside.
- Combine diced onion, chopped garlic, diced carrot, chopped squash, and kale in a food processor. Blend until minced.
- Add a half cup of olive oil into a pan. Pour the veggie mixture in the pan and cook, stirring often.
- Add the drained chickpeas to the food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Add the fennel seed, red pepper flakes, oregano, and fresh thyme to the cooking vegetables. When the spices are aromatic, remove the vegetables from heat.
- Place the blended chickpeas into a bowl. After the veggies have cooled, add them to the chickpeas. Mix with a spoon to combine. Stir in the lemon zest, juice, and add salt to taste.
- Add the flour and the chickpea water. Mix again. Add more flour as needed until balls can be formed.
- Heat oil in pan for frying. Place balls in oil, turning over to fry all sides. Remove when browned, and place on a paper towel to allow the excess oil to drain. Serve warm.
|Saturated fat||0 g|